I'm very excited to share this romantic suspense book from Entangled Publishing. I love their covers and the book just sounds amazing. Misty is here to share 10 Things You Never Knew You Wanted to Know about...Fargo! Don't forget to enter the giveaway! Take it away Misty!
10 Things You Never Knew You Wanted to Know about...Fargo!
By Misty Dietz
A big thanks to Melissa for having me as a guest today!
When I was thinking about what to write on a blog called “Sexy Under the Covers” my mind went all over the place, but I kept coming back to “Facts about Fargo.” Dude, why? Because my debut COME HELL OR HIGH DESIRE is set here and so many people have stereotypes about North Dakota. And while many of them true…Fargo is surprisingly a very hip—dare I say, sexy—place to live!
Fargo...the name alone probably conjures thoughts of wicked winters or wood chippers (for those of you who’ve seen the 1996 movie named for our city, which by the way I hated! LOL). The movie wasn’t even freakin’ filmed in Fargo, but the stories about our winters are spot on. Most of them anyway. We say it builds character.
But really, do you wonder why we stay? What? Every day, you say? Well then, it’s your lucky day!! :)
My answer could turn into a master’s thesis, but the short answer is this: fantastic education, accessible and cutting edge medical facilities, low crime, year round outdoor recreation, loads of entertainment opportunities (I’m taking my daughter to a Taylor Swift concert next month, whoop!), J-O-B-S (see below), and especially, the people.
I swear I’m not getting kickbacks from the ND Tourism Board, but I thought it would be fun to share a few Fargo facts, so here goes:
1. Fargo hosts an annual marathon in May. This past year’s included 24,000 runners from around the world. It’s awesome and oh-so-inspiring. I was a screaming spectator.
2. We’re home to one of Microsoft’s largest campuses in the world. The latest number I’ve seen is 1,800 workers with a long-term plan that calls for 2,700 people to work at the Fargo campus.
3. Our NDSU Bison Football team is the current back-to-back defending NCAA Division I-FCS national champions. In non-jock-speak that means they’ve kicked ass for two years in the highest level of intercollegiate football.
4. Most of us don’t talk like they do in the Cohen Brothers’ movie. But some of us do. Yah, you betcha!
5. Fargo has had a US Navy ship named after it: the USS Fargo.
6. Fargo’s April unemployment rate was 3.7%. The state’s May unemployment rate was 2.8 percent. We have jobs (and oil...a frakking LOT of oil. Like more oil than Saudi Arabia), and our borders are open, people!
7. Fargo has two sister cities: Hamar, Norway, and Vimmerby, Sweden. As you might imagine, we have a lot of blondes in town. Our ethnic diversity is now rapidly expanding, though. :)
8. Every spring the great Red River of the North floods like a boss. We have 500 year floods every few years, but we don’t get too worked up about it. We pull together, make a million sandbags, move tons of dirt to make earthen levees, and when the water recedes, we carry on.
9. The Red River is one of only a few rivers in the world that flows north.
10. Fargo is in what’s called the Red River Valley which resulted from the withdrawal of glacial Lake Agassiz, which drained away about 9,300 years ago. This means we live on the bottom of an old lake bed. The lake sediments deposited made the soil around Fargo some of the richest in the world. That means our dirt is BLACK. Food grown in our quiet fields feed millions and millions of people.
High five and chest bump if you’re still here, whoop! So here are my questions for you…what sexy about your town? And what fact surprised you most about Fargo?
At the end of my blog tour we’ll be drawing the name of two commenters from all of the blogs to gift not one, but two fantastic prize winners. See below for details, and thanks for being here! xo, misty ;)
Torn between dangerous desires…
Framed for a series of brutal murders, rebel-turned-CEO Zack Goldman must go to ground. When he discovers that sexy boutique owner Sloane Swift has a shocking gift—terrifying visions that connect her to his mentor’s missing daughter—he can’t believe her refusal to help him. Nor can he believe he’s actually falling for the frustrating woman.
Their chemistry will either find its perfect equation…
Helping an accused killer ranks low on Sloane’s to-do list, no matter how hot the attraction burns between them. But putting to rest her overwhelming guilt over the missing girl’s fate proves more difficult than she ever imagined…that is, until her heart and conscience begin to align.
…or detonate everything in its path.
As the real killer locks in on Sloane, Zack will stop at nothing to keep her safe. And as they earn each other’s trust—with danger in hot pursuit—they may just lose their hearts in the process…
The ExcerptHer fingernails suddenly raked at her skull. “Lord! I almost forgot. We have to go back to Ann’s. She has a diary!”
He swerved into an empty parking lot and swiveled to face her, blood pounding in his ears. “What are you talking about?”
“Ann keeps a diary. We have to find it.”
“You’re just telling me this now? You should have goddamn said something right away!”
“Don’t you dare curse at me like that, you seismic jackass!”
He had to get out. He flung the truck door open and strode onto the cracked asphalt. Her door slammed shut moments later, and within seconds she was wagging a finger in his face. “And don’t you walk away from me, either!”
“Then don’t be such a damn shrew.”
Color flooded over her cheekbones seconds before she punched him in the gut. Hard. An ancient fire lit up his nerve circuits and adrenaline had him widening his stance. His heart gunned.
His groin tightened.
And she was still shrill.
“I’m not a shrew! How am I supposed to act in a situation like this? You think I’m enjoying this? I hate it! But unfortunately I have a conscience which would haunt me for the rest of my life if I don’t follow this through until we have some answers. You came to me and wanted to rule out the church first. Then with everything that happened, I forgot about the diary until right now. That clear enough for you, you—”
Clear enough, honey.
He vised her head between his palms and kissed her. He hadn’t meant to, but the moment her mouth opened to his, he was lost. Not breaking contact with her mouth, he wrapped one arm around her, his hand splaying across her ass, locking her hips against him. Her hands were in his hair, her hips grinding, driving him crazy. They feasted on each other’s mouth, tongues dueling, daring, seeking. He felt her fingers between their bodies, slipping underneath the waistband of his jeans, pulling at the hem of his shirt. Her fingernail scraped his abs and he groaned. She leaned away from his mouth, her eyes dead sexy. Liquid brown. He was gonna--
A car horn blew, jerking him back to life. Back to the parking lot. He looked over to see a man in a black minivan at a stoplight giving them the thumbs up. He honked twice more, waved, and drove on.
Sloane burst into a fit of laughter that quickly dissolved into tears.
And that clinched it. He’d woken up this morning in some creepy-assed Twilight Zone.
About Misty Dietz
Misty’s love affair with words started in middle school when she penned dark stories set in exotic locales she knew nothing about. In college, her boy-angst spilled over into disturbing reams of poetry. After grad school, real life hit, and the writing went into hibernation until she found her own happily-ever-after with an ultra linear man who is the long-suffering counter-balance to her zig-zagging tendencies. Now, she spends her days writing emotionally complex, adrenaline-fueled stories, teaching Zumba, and praying her children don’t come home with math homework.
Don't forget to enter!! Here's the swag pack!
8/12/2013 01:20:38 am
Good morning and Happy Monday everyone! A big thank you to Melissa for having me on my book birthday today! :)
8/12/2013 07:37:31 am
Happy to have you on my blog! Sounds like a wonderful book! :) All the best!
8/12/2013 08:26:13 am
Thank you! :)
8/19/2013 02:40:42 pm
Comments are closed.
Gator Girl Extraordinaire